Welcome

Rejection letters, correspondence, and miscellanea from the otherwise empty annals of the Journal of Universal Rejection.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Splitting the Difference

Dear NW,

Let p denote the proposition "JofUR should publish your paper."  You hold the opinion p.  I hold the opinion ~p.  Assuming that we are peers with unimpeded judgment, and you are a believer in Feldman/Elga/Christensen's "split the difference" (SD), then it follows that you must now have no opinion about whether JofUR should publish your paper.  I, however, am not a believer in SD, so I retain my opinion ~p.  Therefore we shall not publish your paper, and you can sit there quite indifferently.  Everyone is happy if you believe in SD, so I've got my fingers crossed that you do.  I shan't tire you with the detail of my belief in ~p.

Best regards,
Caleb

--
Caleb Emmons, PhD
Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Universal Rejection

No comments:

Post a Comment