Welcome

Rejection letters, correspondence, and miscellanea from the otherwise empty annals of the Journal of Universal Rejection.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, April 4, 2011

All Work and No Play

Some correspondence with Prof Harbaugh:


Dear Professor and Editor Emmons:

I have been considering suitable publication outlets for my UO Economics Department working paper on the Economics of Work and Play, available here.

I feel that the JofUR would be an excellent fit.

While I know the JofUR's standards for publication are unusually rigorous, I think a quick look will convince you of the unusually wide appeal of this paper - which has already been cited.

I look forward to the referee reports.
Yours,

Bill Harbaugh 
Professor of Economics
1285 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403
http://harbaugh.org

Dear Prof Harbaugh,

Thank you for your submission to the Journal of Universal Rejection.

A quick glance at the abstract convinced this editor to never stay alone with you as winter caretaker at the Overlook Hotel.  I am afraid I must also immediately reject your manuscript, and may seek a restraining order against you.

Best of luck in your future,
Caleb
--
Caleb Emmons, PhD
Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Universal Rejection

I was cc'ed on Prof Harbaugh's plea to his Dean:

Subject: my raise
Dear Dean Wormer:

I'm writing to request a long overdue raise on the basis of my extraordinary teaching and research.
As you may have seen on the news, the legal issues raised by my students have now been resolved, and my teaching record therefore can now be characterized as "not guilty".

Research is the only remaining issue. In that regard I append below a revise and resubmit, from Editor Caleb Emmons of the highly selective JofUR.

This is for a paper written during my sabbatical at the Overlook Hotel, and posted here

Reading between the lines, I take Editor Emmons's comments to mean that - after correction of a few typing errors - he will be eager to publish this seminal work.
 
I look forward to your consideration of my request, 

 Bill Harbaugh 

And finally to me:

Dear Editor:

I must report that my attempt to use the revise and resubmit I received from the JofUR as justification for a raise was unsuccessful.

Bill Harbaugh

2 comments:

  1. I actually fell off my seat laughing at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to make it clear that we are not liable for any injuries one should accrue during the viewing of any past, present, or future content of JofUR and/or Reprobatio Certa. That said, I hope you are okay, sir.

    ReplyDelete