Welcome

Rejection letters, correspondence, and miscellanea from the otherwise empty annals of the Journal of Universal Rejection.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, March 25, 2011

Metonymy

Editor's note: Being the Editor-in-Chief of such a prestigious Journal is a great learning experience.  For example I learned a new word yesterday, and am already trying to make a joke with it.  I hope I don't blow it.

Dear Dr. H,

Thank you for submitting to the august Journal of Universal Rejection.  In your introduction you claim certain things "are contextualized metonymically."

But I posit we in the Ivory Tower should give a thumbs down to every crumb of metonymy so as to retain the ear of Main Street.

Therefore your paper is rejected.

Best regards,
Caleb
--
Caleb Emmons, PhD
Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Universal Rejection

2 comments:

  1. Dear Caleb Emmons,

    Oh, I don't think so. You are in danger of hypostitizing a metonymic context.

    Because of my own position, I feel for the heavy responsibilities of your position. I seem to be the president of a University with out campus, professors, or students. Not even a faculty parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas, at first I thought you were senior editor at The New Yorker. But then I noticed this whole City University of Santa Fe thing. That sounds cool. I'd join up if I lived in Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete